Fire Displaces North Adams Family
Firefighters quickly extinguished a garage fire at a Harris Street home Thursday evening that is believed to have been accidental.
The Berkshire Eagle reports despite relatively little damage to the residence above it, the family of four that resides there is temporarily displaced because of heat damage caused to utilities.
Firefighters were called shortly before 6 p.m., after residents of 66 Harris St. smelled something burning and saw black smoke emanating from the garage beneath the residence.
Though the fire was contained to the garage, heat and smoke damage extended into the adjoining basement.
The residents were not hurt and are staying with family member's.
This makes the third structure fire in the North Street area that North Adams firefighters have battled in recent weeks, all of which are believed to have been accidental.
Northern Berkshire EMS, North Adams Police, and the city's wire and alarm department all responded.