Mayor Thomas Bernard and City Council Vice President Jason LaForest went into quarantine Tuesday after LaForest was tested for COVID-19.

LaForest developed minor symptoms early Tuesday, he said, and Bernard entered quarantine out of "an abundance of caution" because of contact with the city councilor. In a statement, Bernard said he understands the news may be unsettling, but he assured people that the city is putting its best foot forward.

LaForest was directed to quarantine himself by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, LaForest said. Bernard is isolating himself at home voluntarily and of his own accord, after attending several events with LaForest in recent days.

LaForest remains unsure if his symptoms — "deep dry cough, sore throat, headache and sinus congestion" —  were caused be the new coronavirus making its way around the globe, but he said he may have come into contact with the virus while at a meeting of municipal leaders in Boston last week.

Bernard said in his statement that local health departments would investigate possible points of contact alongside the state's health department. "This helps to prevent further spread," he said.

Read more at The Berkshire Eagle.com now.