The Department of Transportation announced they will begin the Exit renumbering project next month.  Mass is under a federal mandate to change from the current consecutive “Exit 1…Exit 2…Exit 3 numbering system to the national system of numbering exits based on the mile marker position of the exit.

So, under the new numbering system that the DOT expects to be completed late next summer, if you are traveling east to Springfield instead of getting off at Exit 4 you will be getting off at Exit 45 (45 miles from the start of the Mass Pike from the NY border.  Coming back to the Berkshires from Springfield, to get onto U.S. 20 in Lee you will no longer be getting off the Pike at Exit 2 but Exit 10 (10 miles from the start of the Mass Pike).

A total of 27 exit number changes will have to be made on I-90.  However, unlike the number of exit numbers needing to be changed closer to Boston, in the Berkshires only two exits will need new signage on the Mass Pike.  Delaware and New Hampshire are the only other states currently not on the mileage-numbered system.   Both are also instituting plans to change to the system used nationally.

The entire state project is estimated to cost $2.8 million dollars and will be paid for by a grant from the Federal Highway Safety Improvement Program.  Sort of like a co-pay at your doctor, the Feds will pay for 90% of the project and the state will be responsible for the other 10%.  Click here for more information on the DOT project.

Anyone that has driven on the Mass Pike in the last 6 months has witnessed project after project.  Milling, paving, new guardrails, bridge repair and a host of other ongoing work being done behind temporary barriers.

I drive the Pike daily and the endless orange cones, lane closures, flashing lights, lane shifts have been commonplace since spring.  Even this morning miles of freshly milled highway heading west between Westfield and Lee means more cones, lane closures, and line painting is in my future.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a freshly paved road and as much driving that I do, a silky-smooth highway makes for an enjoyable ride.  I have wondered out loud when I saw the first signs of mass amounts of roadwork equipment strategically placed up and down the Pike early spring, “didn’t they pave the entire highway last year?”

Below is a scorecard if you want to play the DOT Renumbering Game at home...


Old ExitNew ExitStreet/Route
1 (WB)3 (WB)Jct. RTE 41 & RTE 102
210SJct. US 20
341Jct. US 202 & RTE 10
445Jct. I-91 & US 5
549Jct. RTE 33
651Jct. I-291
754Jct. RTE 21
863Jct. RTE 32
978Jct. I-84
1090Jct. I-290, I-395, & RTE 12
10A94Jct. US 20, RTE 146, & RTE 122A
1196Jct. RTE 122
11A106Jct. I-495
12111Jct. RTE 9
13117Jct. RTE 30
14 (EB)123 (EB)Jct. I-95, RTE 128, & RTE 30
15A/B (WB)123A/B (WB)Jct. I-95, RTE 128, & RTE 30
16 (WB)125 (WB)Jct. RTE 16
17127Washington St
18 (EB)131 (EB)Brighton, Cambridge
20 (WB)131 (WB)Brighton, Cambridge, U-turn to Boston
22 (EB)133 (EB)Prudential, Copley Square
24A/B/C (EB)134A/B/C (EB)Jct. I-93, US 1, & RTE 3
24 (WB)134 (WB)South Station
25135South Boston
26 (EB)137 (EB)Logan Airport
WNAW AM logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

."}" data-sheets-userformat="{"2":33554688,"11":4,"28":1}">

See the Must-Drive Roads in Every State


More From WNAW AM