Historic Cheshire Home Damaged by Fire
A couple of quick-thinking teenagers likely saved one of the town's historic homes from burning down.
iBerkshires.com reports Fire Chief Thomas Francesconi said the two youth were walking from the Shell station on Route 8 on Monday evening when they noticed flickering lights and then flames in a downstairs room at 120 North St.
The chief said the call came in at 7:43 p.m. for a reported structure fire; the first firefighters on the scene found a first-floor room on the north side of the building, to the left of the front door, and its contents on fire.
Buildings of this age are usually balloon frame construction, meaning there are few if any stops in the walls. Once flames are in the walls, they can shoot up into the attic, Francesconi said.
Plus, the interior has been under construction for several years so some rooms are not sealed up.