Fire at N. Adams American Legion Attributed To Smoking Materials
IBerkshires.com reports smoking materials are believed to be the cause of a fire at the American Legion on Saturday night that forced the closure of the club.
A fire was reported in the walls of the structure shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday.
With the fire station just across the street, firefighters were quickly on the scene.
At least two-dozen people were evacuated from the building.
The blaze appeared to be concentrated in the wall of the exit on the north end of the building, where a disposal container for cigarettes is located.
Fire Director Stephen Meranti said the building had to be closed because of smoke and the use of a fire extinguisher. The building was going to be ventilated and the building inspector would determine if it was suitable to reopen.
No one was injured were reported. The north entrance incurred significant damage from the fire and the efforts to contain it.