The historic Readsboro Inn was spared from catastrophe in the wee hours of Tuesday when a quick-thinking tenant and teams of firefighters were able to snuff out a pellet stove fire on its top floor.

IBerkshires.com reports that the fire was seen before 2:30 a.m. when a guest went outside to have a cigarette and noticed smoke coming through the top of the three-story building.

A tenant grabbed an extinguisher and was able to contain the stove blaze, but the fire had worked its way behind the walls and up into the attic.